BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Y-Hut

Building History
Other Names: None Y-Hut
Date Built: 1925
Date Razed: 1952
Cost of Construction: $
Gross Square Feet:
Assignable Square Feet:
Architects: W.C. Lockhart, builder

Namesake: The Y-Hut was built by revenue raised by and contributions to the YWCA on campus.

History: The YWCA had been allowed to open a store in the basement of Austin and sell groceries and fruit to students in 1922. The following article appeared in the first issue of the Teco Echo :

    Y.W.C.A. Hut Now Ready The Y.W.C.A. hut is now completed, cleaned up, shavings swept out, windows washed, curtains up, wiring in, lights on -- everything ready for a house warming before the term closes. "All things come to him who waits." A dream which has been in the minds of the students for several years has almost come to pass, and before this reaches the public the girls will be enjoying it.

    The hut is a low, red building located almost directly back of the basketball court in the woods on the back campus, with the West end facing Eighth Street.It has six broad double windows, from which beautiful views may be seen, and a large fireplace. On the south end is a kitchenette, which has a real wood stove -- not a smoky oil outfit -- ready for use, which will be a joy and delight to those who fix the eats.

    Early in the fall the girls realized they had money enough to begin to make their plans. Through the kindness of two staunch friends in the faculty, a loan was secured. The members of the faculty have proved their interest in many ways. The men wired the hut for lighting and the women contributed the draperies. To complete the furnishing will be a task of love in which every girl in the college shall have a share. Any former students who have had hopes and dreams for the hut may also share in the furnishing.Contributions will be gratefully received.

    May the hut be a means of bringing the girls into closer touch with each other.

The Y-Hut was available to students to entertain guests and visitors as well as for activities sponsored by the YWCA. The Y-Hut was located on the tract of land where Joyner Library now stands. The cabin was razed in 1952 to make way for Joyner Libary. A second Y-Hut was built to take it's place and was eventually renamed the Ledonia S. Wright Cultural Center.

Additions:

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University