BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Wright Building

Building History
Other Names: Campus Building Wright Building
Date Built: 1925
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $350,000 estimated
Gross Square Feet: 83,265
Assignable Square Feet: 59,662
Architects: H.A. Underwood, Raleigh, NC

Namesake: Robert Herring Wright (1879-1934) was President of East Carolina Teachers Training School from 1908 until his death in 1934. Wright was a graduate of UNC in 1897 and furthered his education at John Hopkins University and Columbia University during the renaissance of Progressive education. He guided East Carolina through its early growth and saw it firmly established as an important North Carolina College.

History: The campus building named in honor of President Wright on March 12, 1936 was completed in 1927 and served as the social and religious facility for the campus.The large brick structure has an arched portico complements earlier campus brick buildings as well as presenting almost identical architectural lines as Whichard Building.Alterations and additions through the decades have enlarged the building so that it now contains an auditorium as well as Dowdy Student Stores and "The Wright Place" food court.

Wright Annex On May 10, 1970, a fire destroyed part of the building. This was reported as the third blaze in two weeks and vandalism was believed to be the cause.

A third renovation of the building was begun in 1981. At a cost of $1.239 million the auditorium was improved, the exterior brightened and a new roof put on. The balcony which ringed three sides of the auditorium was removed and replaced by a new one in the rear of the auditorium. The upper windows were bricked up and the stage was extended approximately 10 feet to provide more adequate space for full orchestras and larger productions. The building also received an elevator.

Additions: 1949 - converted to Student Union

1954 - renovated, J.W. Griffith, Jr., Greenville, NC

1963 - renovated, F. Carter Williams, Raleigh, NC

1965 - additions and renovations, F. Carter Williams, Raleigh, NC

1974 - student union moved to newly built Mendenhall Student Union

1977-80 - student store renovations, McGee, Scovil & Rairden, Raleigh, NC

1981-1982 - $1.239 million, auditorium renovation and new roof

1989 - new sound system for auditorium-$75,000

1998 - landscape improvements

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University