BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Taylor-Slaughter Alumni Center

Building History
Other Names: noneTaylor-Slaughter
Date Built: 1942
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $100,000 purchase est.
Gross Square Feet: 4,728
Assignable Square Feet: 3,600
Architects: not known

Namesake: Luther M. "Luke" Taylor graduated from ECU in 1957. He worked in West Palm Beach, Florida with the import-export businesses between Florida and Cuba until the Cuban Embargo in 1961. Thereafter he attended Stetson University and received his law degree in 1963. He then established a successful law practice, L.M. Taylor Lawyers, in North Palm Beach, Florida. Taylor has been a member of the Board of Directors of the East Carolina Alumni Association as well as member of the Chancellor's Society. A former recipient of the Outstanding Alumni Award, he is currently serving on the Board of Directors for the ECU Foundation.

Edward Marvin Slaughter, Jr. (Aug. 16, 1926-Aug. 3, 1987), received a BS degree in History from ECU in 1950 and taught at Boone Trail High School and Angier High School for 2 years. In 1953, he began wholesale distribution of tiles in Norfolk, Virginia in addition to teaching. At the time of his death, he was owner operator of Southern Tile Distribution Company of Richmond and Norfolk, Virginia, on the Board of Directors for the Chesapeake Bank & Trust Company and of the Cruise International Travel Agency, and was Director of Taylor-Parker Wholesale Distributing Company of Norfolk. Slaughter had been a member of the Board of Directors of the East Carolina Alumni Association (and President from 1983-84) and the ECU Foundation, a member of the Chancellor's Society, as well as a recipient of the Outstanding Alumni Award in 1979.

Mr. Taylor and Mr. Slaughter donated approximately $50,000 each for the purchase of this house.

History: This distinguished Georgian brick structure located at 901 East Fifth Street was purchased by East Carolina Alumni Association on Dec. 10, 1979. It was built in the early 1940's for Helen Forbes White Hawes who lived there until her death. The house contains 3,600 square feet of floor space and currently houses the offices of Alumni Relations & Institutional Advancement. Both of these offices provide approximatley $90,000 yearly for academic scholarships. The Board of Directors for the Alumni Association meets three times per year and other members meet once in the spring.At this meeting officers for the association are elected. The building was dedicated on May 3, 1980.

Additions: 1980 - renovations for office space

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University