BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Speight Building

Building History
Other Names: Education & Psychology Building Speight
Date Built: 1965
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $480,824
Gross Square Feet: 50,562
Assignable Square Feet: 31,450
Architects: R.N. Rouse & Co., Goldsboro, NC

Namesake: J. Brantley (1914-1971) and Carrie Gardner Speight (1904-1972) were residents of Pitt County. Brantley graduated from North Carolina State University with a degree in agriculture.With his degree and the help of his wife, they established the Speight Seed Farm. They were recognized as the first producers and distributors of hybrid seed corn, as well as new outstanding tobacco varieties. Brantley was a significant leader in various agriculture organizations, and a member of the Board of Trustees of the Consolidated University of North Carolina. In addition to assisting Brantley with farming Carrie played an activerole in community activities.

History: Located on Fifth Street, this yellow brick classroom building houses the School of Education and offices of the ECU Teaching Fellows Program, the Model Clinical Teaching Program, and ENCCARE. It contains 22 classrooms, 45 offices, testing rooms, laboratories and related facilities.The building was dedicated on Februaury 17, 1974.

1992 - the Reading Room was named after Professor Emeritus Keith Holmes

1993 - James W. Batten Conference Room dedicated (Room 129)

Additions: 1980 - elevator installed for ADA compliancy

1998 - cooling tower replaced

1998-99 - added computer technology and hook-ups to most classrooms

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University