BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Scales Field House

Building History
Other Names: none
Date Built: 1966
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $106,348
Gross Square Feet: 14,349
Assignable Square Feet: 11,500
Architects: Dudley & Shoe, Greenville, NC, see manuscript collection in Special Collections

Namesake: Waightstill "Booger" Morehead Scales, Jr. (1924- ), a Greenvillenative, attended Fishburne Military Academy in Waynesboro Va., where he graduated in 1942. After working for John Flanagan's Buggy Company and the Ford Distributor in Greenville (1946-1948), he went into the insurance bussiness. Scales was an "untouchable" and leading fundraiser in the community and at ECU and he chaired one of Greenville's largest fundraising efforts which resulted in the building of Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium at ECU.Other than raising $278,000 for the construction of Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, he raised $100,000 for Scales Field House. Booger Scales also served as the first president of East Carolina College the Century Club, now called the Pirate Club.

History: The building was dedicated on January 7, 1968. The building is located conveniently close to the sports playing fields. It contains 8000 feet of floor space and provides dressing rooms, showers, first aid rooms, an athletic library, a meeting room, a study and a space for storage of equipment.

Additions: 1971 - First Addition-Office added for head athletic coaches and secretaries, Dudley & Shoe, Greenville, NC

1983 - Addition and Renovations including a large laundry room, general equipment storage room, four offices and a reception room. Also a heating and cooling addition and dressing room renovations.

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University