BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Rawl Building

Building History
Other Names: none Rawl
Date Built: 1959
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $831,030
Gross Square Feet: 72,814
Assignable Square Feet: 46,841
Architects: A.J. Maxwell, Goldsboro, NC

Namesake: Edwin E. Rawl (1902-1958), a Greenville businessman, was a member of the ECU Board of Trustees (1953-1958). Rawl played an active role in community affairs and was the founder of the Pirate Club.

History: This three story T-shaped building was the first entirely new classroom building to be constructed since Flanagan building was built in 1939. The building orginally housed the Business, Psychology, Art and Education Departments. An Art Gallery on the third floor was named after Kate W. Lewis, the first head of the Art Department and an original faculty member. The building was dedicated on March 13, 1960.

Additions: 1960 - Rawl Annex, A.J. Maxwell, Goldsboro, NC
Because of the need for space at East Carolina College, which was rapidly growing, Rawl Annex was built in 1960 and attached directly to the back of the Rawl classroom building. Upon its opening it provided office space for the Public Relations and Extension Division of the College as well as Testing Office of the Psychology Department and the Graduate Division.

1962 - First floor lounge named for Elmer R. Browning

    air conditioning added, first building to be air conditioned

1969 - repaired cracks in the foundation and walls

1994 - renovation of office suites

1996 - better acoustics and improved lighting

1997 - new elevators installed

1997 & 1998 - new fire and smoke detectors installed

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University