BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Model School

Building History
Other Names: Training School Model School 1918
Date Built: 1914
Date Razed: ca. 1927
Cost of Construction: not known
Gross Square Feet: not known
Assignable Square Feet: not known
Architects: Hooks & Rogers, Charlotte, NC

Namesake:

History: The original mission of East Carolina Teachers Training School was to train teachers for Eastern North Carolina. To facilitate this goal a practice school was built in 1914. The city provided the funds for the construction of the original four-room model school and later East Carolina repaid the city for the construction. Students could walk to the school through the wooded western portion of campus, and develop their teaching skills by working with Greenville youngsters. A second story was added to the building in 1917.Construction of the new practice school (later called Wahl-Coates) in 1927 gave student teachers a more modern building.

Additions: 1917 - second story addition, Willard G. Rogers

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University