BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Flanagan Sylvan Theatre

Building History
Other Names: AmphitheatreFlanagan Sylvan Theatre
Date Built: 1956
Date Razed: 2004
Cost of Construction: $10,000
Gross Square Feet:
Assignable Square Feet:
Architects: John B. Lippard, Charlotte, NC

Namesake: Edward Gaskill Flanagan (1875-1942), a Greenville native, was a member of the ECTC Board of Trustees and chairman of the ECTC Building Committee. He inherited the Flanagan Buggy Company from his father, served in the North Carolina General Assembly and was president of the Guarantee Bank & Trust Company.

History: The amphitheatre was built with $10,000 donated by Mrs. Rosa H. Flanagan in memory of her husband. It was an open air theatre located on the western campus. The theatre was made from concrete and brick in a U-shaped design. It had cement terrace type seating for 800 and the stage was 35 feet by 45 feet. The theatre was dedicated on May 10, 1956 and the dedication program included a production of Shakespeare's Macbeth.

The last time that the amphitheatre was used for a performance was in the 1970's when a band named The Association came to campus to play. It had been used for play auditions since then but not much else. Other than that it has been a quiet place for students to study and a place for students to sun. In 1997, the announcement that the Theatre was going to be done away with to made room for a new dining hall was made public. In 2004 the West End Dining Hall was erected on the site.

Additions: None

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University