BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Flanagan Building

Building History
Other Names: Science Building Flanagan, 1959
Date Built: 1939
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $325,000
Gross Square Feet: 100,342
Assignable Square Feet: 72,055
Architects: Eric G. Flannagan, Henderson, NC

Namesake: Edward Gaskill Flanagan (1875-1942), a Greenville native, was a member of the ECTC Board of Trustees and chairman of theECTC Building Committee.He inherited the Flanagan Buggy Company from his father, served in the North Carolina General Assembly and was president of the Guarantee Bank & Trust Company.

History: Flanagan Building was dedicated on March 8, 1941, by Governor Clyde R. Hoey during homecoming.Home coming was postponed from fall to winter in order to dedicate this new structure in connection with the event. This classroom building is located in the central part of campus next to the Student Health Center. It was built with a combination of state and Public Works Administration funds representing ECTC's only participation in the WPA program. The structure is U-shaped with a court opening to the south. It riginally housed the Science, Home Economics, Commerce and Geography Departments.

In 1993, Flanagan Building became a part of the East Carolina Historical District. The ECU Board of Trustees decided not to register the building on the National Register of Historic Buildings, but instead decided to make its own register.

Additions: 1950 - Greenhouse built

1957 - 1960 - Eric G. Flannagan, and Dudley & Shoe, attic completed with room partitions, cost $145,000

1962 - James W. Griffith, addition to connect thewings and close the court on the south side, cost $375,000

1969 - Fenner & Proffitt, HVAC system renovated, cost $1,195,000

1997 - Renovations to the chemistry lab

Within the next 10 years a $13.4 million renovation for technology is planned.

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University