BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Financial Aid Building

Building History
Other Names: Refectory, North Cafeteria, Old Cafeteria, Dining Hall

Old Cafeteria ca. 1999
Date Built: 1909
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $9,382.40, bid
Gross Square Feet: 46,268
Assignable Square Feet: 35,542
Architects: Hook & Rogers, Charlotte, NC & H.W. Simpson, New Bern, NC

Namesake:

History: Old Cafeteria In 1909 the campus consisted of two dormitories, the Administration Building, Power Plant, Infirmary and the Refectory. Photographs and architectural drawings show the small kitchen and dining room built in 1909. On April 1, 1915 a leaky chimney caused a fire which gutted the building; only the exterior brick walls remained. During the following summer, a new kitchen was constructed and the old kitchen converted into additional dining space.

With the growth of the student body, more dining facilities were required. George Berryman designed an addition to the Dining Hall in 1927. Other additions to the building took place in later years.

The original Soda Shop was built in the summer of 1946. It was an addition to the Dining Hall as described in the following press release:

    Greenville, July 1946 -- A large lobby adjacent to the post office and dining halls of East Carolina Teachers College is being converted into a modernistic soda shop.Work on the project already is under way and is expected to be completed during the summer, F.D. Duncan, treasurer, has announced.

    Mr. Duncan also stated that the terrace between the dining halls will be landscaped and an outdoor court provided for soda shop patrons during hot weather.The soda shop will be well-lighted, roomy, and will be equipped with a new soda fountain if one can be procured.

The Dining Hall also known as the North Cafeteria, was empty for much of the 1970s and 1980s. Private vendors now provide dining services for the university and additional dining facilities have been created. A 1985 renovation included reframing the roof, removal of part of the tile roof and replacement of the tile roof with an asphalt shingle roof. It once housed the Geology Sedimentological Laboratory in the basement and the Institute for Coastal and Marine Resources on the main floor. It is now the home of Mail Services, Financial Aid and the Internal Auditor's Office.

Additions: 1927 - George Berryman, Raleigh, NC

1916 - New kitchen built after fire

1946 - Lobby remodeled to include a Soda Shop, building also housed the Post Office

1985 - Roof reconstruction

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University