BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Slay Dormitory

Building History
Other Names: none Slay
Date Built: 1949
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $512,000
Gross Square Feet: 34,269
Assignable Square Feet: 24,597
Architects: Eric G. Flannagan, Henderson, NC

Namesake: Ronald SlayDr. Ronald J. Slay (1890-1948) was a Science professor (1923-1947), the second director of the Science Department, and the first academic dean at East Carolina. A Ph.D. graduate of Columbia University, he was also the first to hold a Ph.D. in science at East Carolina.Dr. Slay was recognized as a leading promoter for the expansion of East Carolina. In 1950, the Student Legislature requested that the building be named in his honor as "a leading figure in the growth and development of the college" from 1923 to 1947.

History: Groundbreaking took place in 1948 with construction completed in early 1949. This 2 story, U - shaped dormitory was built to house 216 men and in 1961 the building was converted into a women's dormitory. Slay Dormitory is also recgonized as being the last building on campus constructed with a tile roof.

Additions: 1954 - Annex
1961 - Converted to women's dormitory, James W. Griffith, Jr., Greenville, NC
1961 - addition of T-shaped colonial style lobby, James W. Griffith, Jr., Greenville, NC

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University