BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Jones Dormitory

Building History
Other Names: noneJones
Date Built: 1959
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $1.2 million
Gross Square Feet: 103,520
Assignable Square Feet: 75,044
Architects: Eric G. Flannagan

Namesake: Dr. Paul Erastus Jones (1890-1977) a native of Pitt County, was graduated from Bethel High School and attended Richmond College and the Medical College of Virginia from which he graduated in 1910. He was a member of the Pitt County Medical and Dental Society and the American Dental Association and a fellow of the American College of Dentists and the International College of Dentists.. He served as president of the North Carolina Dental Society in 1930 and of the American Association of Dental Examiners in 1946. Jones served as a member of the Farmville School Board for 25 years, the Pitt County Board of Education for several years and the Board of Trustees for the University of North Carolina from1951 to 1959. He was a veteran of World War II and was elected State Senator from this district 1949-1957.

History: The building was constructed through a loan of $1,420,000 from the Federal Housing and Home Finance Agency.It was the first dormitory built on the "Hill" and was dedicated on May 15, 1960. Built in a contemporary style, the four story H-shaped structure has a basement and a cafeteria which seats 380. The building was twice the size of any other existing structure on campus at that time. It was designed to house 520 male students.

Additions: 1964 - Recreation Room remodeled as a cafeteria

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University