BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Greene Dormitory

Building History
Other Names: none Greene Hall
Date Built: 1966
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $1.2 million
Gross Square Feet: 82,731
Assignable Square Feet: 57,997
Architects: Stinson

Namesake: Mary Greene Mary Hemphill Greene (1902-1968) received her B.A. degree from Agnes Scott College (1924) and M.A. degree from Columbia University (1928). Greene became a faculty member of the ECU English Department in 1928 and remained here until her death. She also belonged to a small faculty group constituting the early News Bureau at ECU, which was involved in transmitting college news stories to local papers. From 1945-1963, Mary Greene directed the operations of the News Bureau on a part-time basis.

History: Dedicated on February 2, 1969, the building was the first of three ten story dormitories for women built at the western end of campus. It was designed to house 400 women students. The exterior is composed of vertical sections of brick, alternating with rows of windows.

Additions: None

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University