BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Garrett Dormitory

Building History
Other Names: Dormitory for Women Garrett, 1960
Date Built: 1956
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $830,000
Gross Square Feet: 53,344
Assignable Square Feet: 38,431
Architects: J. Griffith, Greenville, NC

Namesake: A native North Carolinian, Radford Marvin "Ralph" Garrett (1886-1955) was a leading figure in the tobacco industry, founding the Greenville firm of Person-Garrett in 1915. Garrett's business background led to his appointment to the board of directors of the Greenville State Bank & Trust Company. He also served on the ECTC Board of Trustees from 1946 to 1955.

History: The dormitory was dedicated on Founders Day, March 8, 1957. At the time, the three story brick structure was the largest's women's dormitory on campus, and the first to be built in 25 years. Quicksand was discovered on the building site on the south side of Fifth Street near the western end of the campus.

Garrett was the first residence hall on campus to go "coed." In 1974 a report was made by students living in Garrett to the Board of Trustees regarding the first year experiment with coed living.

Additions: None

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University