BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Chancellor's Residence

Building History
Other Names: Dail House, President's Home Dail House
Date Built: 1920, purchased 1949
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $30,000 purchase price
Gross Square Feet: 5,153
Assignable Square Feet: 5,029
Architects: not known

Namesake:

History: Dail In 1921 William Haywood Dail, Jr. a businessman who established Greenville's only brick manufacturing company, began building an Italianate home at 605 East Fifth Street. It was completed in 1931. The college purchased the structure in 1949 and all of East Carolina'a chief executives since that time have resided there. The house was purchased from Mrs. Hattie F. Young for the sum of $30,000.

The stately home is centrally located opposite the Jenkins Fine Arts Center. John D. Messick was the first president to occupy the house.

The original President's Home, a frame structure located at the northeast corner of Jarvis and Fifth Streets, was converted into faculty apartments, became the Personnel Office and currently houses Career Services.

Additions: 1980/81 - Renovations

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University