BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Blount House

Building History
Other Names: Public Safety, Traffic & Information CenterBlount
Date Built: 1945
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: not known
Gross Square Feet: 3,394
Assignable Square Feet: 2,578
Architects: not known

Namesake: Margaret Lee Little Blount (1900-1982) bought the house from W. G. Glass, a local tobacco farmer, in 1946. Upon her death in 1982, it was passed to her husband, Ferrell Leighton Blount (1894-1982), and upon his death, to their children.Mr. Blount and his brothers Marvin Key Blount and Judson H. Blount and their father, Marion O. Blount founded Blount Fertilizer Co. and Carolina Dairies in Greenville.

History: This house located at 609 E. Tenth Street, was built circa 1945. In October 1984 ECU bought Blount House from the children of Margaret and F. L. Blount. It is located next to the Garrett House Computer Center Annex and contained ECU's Public Safety Headquarters which moved from the Howard House in late 1984. A lot of maintenance and renovation work was undertaken on the house. This white columned house is one of several homes that ECU has acquired with state money in past years; although only a few were actually restored for use. The ECU Police Department currently occupies the building.

Additions: Shortly after acquisition in 1984, ECU added an extension off of the left side of the building for office space and the garage was closed off and now used for a maintenance repair room.

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University