BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Austin Building, Original

Building History
Other Names: AdministrationOld Austin and 5th Street Gate
Date Built: 1908/09
Date Razed: 1968
Cost of Construction: $32,538, bid
Gross Square Feet: 75,200
Assignable Square Feet:
Architects: Hook & Rogers, Charlotte, NC

Namesake: Herbert E. Austin (1866-1929), a graduate of Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Massachusetts, taught at ECTTS as a professor of Science and Geography from 1909 to1929 and was the school's acting dean. He was a charter member of the faculty.

History: One of the four original buildings of the East Carolina Teachers Training School. "Old" Austin housed classrooms, an auditorium, a library , meeting rooms, and administrative offices during the early years of East Carolina. The east wing was added in 1914; the west wing and rear sections were completed in 1922. The west wing was described in the first issue of the East Carolina Teachers College News :

    The additions to the Administration Building provide for a library, a gymnasium, a small assembly hall, a book-room, sleeping quarters for the Alumnae visitors, a sewing department, an enlarged cooking laboratory, several additional class rooms, offices, practice rooms for music.

In 1920 the Student Government Association was formed. The group's constitution calls for an " Administration Building Committee ," which oversaw student conduct while in Austin.

The building was the focal point of the campus until it was demolished to make way for the Jenkins Fine Arts Center. An attempt was made to save the cupola of the building. Click here for more information regarding the cupola and the original Austin Building.

Additions: 1914 - East Wing, Hook & Rogers (Charlotte NC) & H.W. Simpson (New Bern NC)

1920 - Training School Quarterly, Volume 8, 1920, p. 90:

    A number of changes were made in the administration building. The basement was finished and made into a new postoffice, new stationery room, three classrooms, storage room, and a vault.

    What was the library was divided into two parts: The secretary's office and the private office of the president. As you come in the door to the administration building, to your right is a small reception room. The library is now in what was the history room, classroom number 4, which is on the northwest corner of the building. The entrance to the administration building was enlarged, greating improving and making the hall very spacious.

1922 - West Wing, H.A. Underwood (Raleigh NC)

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University