BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

A.J. Fletcher Music Center

Building History
Other Names: Music Building Fletcher Music
Date Built: 1966
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $1.25 million
Gross Square Feet: 58,950
Assignable Square Feet: 40,491
Architects: A.G. Odell Jr. & Associates

Namesake: A. J. Fletcher (1887-1979), a native of Ashe County, NC, graduated from Wake Forest Law School. He became a prominent North Carolina attorney, businessman, philanthropist, and patron of the arts and music. He served as editor of the Mooresville Enterprise and Apex Journal. Fletcher was the founder of the National Opera Company in 1948 and WRAL in 1939. He established the Tobacco Radio Network and was prominent throughout America for his contributions to broadcasting.

History: The building was dedicated on May 16, 1971 and is located on the eastern edge of campus near Tenth Street. It is composed of three units. These units contain lobbies, lounges, 9 classrooms, 35 studios, and 96 practice rooms. In addition there are band and choral rehearsal rooms, a recital hall, music, tape and record libraries and a conference room. The exterior of the building consists of concrete block and brick cavity walls.

Additions: 1998-The Recital Hall was renovated.Things included in this were new acoustical properties, new stage and house lighting, and a warm-up space encompassing the dressing room and backstage restroom areas.

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University