BlackBoardIT Help DeskPirateIDIndexEmail and PhoneOneStopCalendarAccessibility

Austin Building, New

Building History
Other Names: None Austin under construction, 1964
Date Built: 1964
Date Razed:
Cost of Construction: $970,000
Gross Square Feet: 63,110
Assignable Square Feet: 39,577
Architects: A.J. Maxwell Jr., Goldsboro, NC

Namesake: Herbert E. Austin (1866-1929), a graduate of Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Massachusetts, taught at ECTTS as a professor of Science and Geography from 1909 to 1929 and was the school's acting dean. He was a charter member of the faculty.

History: The "New" Austin building was constructed on the former college baseball field, just east of Rawl Building. The three-story, concrete, brick, and steel building contains 40 classrooms, 60 faculty offices and two seminar rooms. A computer center for a mainframe computer is housed in Austin. Remote terminals in the other campus buildings are connected to the mainframe computer for purposes of registration, student financial records, research, and student training. It also contains the Mathematics Department.

Additions: 1965 - The Arthur D. Frank Seminar room was dedicated on the third floor. Dr. Frank joined the faculty in September 1924 and was chair of the Social Studies department until his retirement in November 1957.

1969 - ECU Chimes were installed in Austin. The chimes were a gift to the university from the Class of 1969 and played the Alma Mater at noon each day. The chimes have since been removed from the building.

Joyner Library - ECU

Tell a friend about this page.
All fields required.
Can be sent to only one email address at a time.
Joyner Library, East Carolina University
East Fifth Street | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518 | Contact Webmaster
© 2013 | Terms of Use | Last Updated: 2013-03-15
Give To East Carolina University